Catalog Builder vs Catalog Filter
The Catalog Manager provides you two different options when it comes to loading products to your catalog.
- Catalog Builder Mode: In this approach you select the products you would like to sell from the feed view and add them to either your queue or catalog in order to customize and review them before loading to your store. This is the recommended and ideal approach if you want to customize any of the product data or simply want to load only select products from your supplier's feed into your store.
- Catalog Filter Mode: In this approach all the products from the supplier’s feed are loaded directly into your catalog except for those products that have been filtered by any exclusion rules you have created. You create the the exclusion rules from the "Exclusions" section in your Catalog Rules.
Catalog Builder vs Filter Mode Explained [Video]:
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I switch from Filter mode to Builder mode?
- If you are in Catalog Filter mode you can switch by going to your "Catalog Rules" and clicking the yellow "Switch Now" button in the blue header.
How do I switch from Builder mode to Filter mode?
- If you are in Catalog Builder mode you can switch by going to your "Catalog Rules" and clicking the "Controls" section and then the "switch" button at the bottom.
What happens when I switch modes?
- Your catalog rules, product selections, customizations, and tags will not be lost if you choose to switch between the two different modes. You are fine to switch back and forth without losing settings however please note this will affect what products do or do not display on your store (if your feed is active).
- If your feed is active and you switch from the Filter mode to the Builder mode, you will notice that your catalog will likely not have any products in it. In "Builder mode" you will need to populate your catalog by moving products from your "feed view" to your catalog.
If Switching from Filter > Builder mode.... PAUSE YOUR FEED!
If your feed was previously active with products populated in your catalog (and therefore loaded to your store), we highly recommend turning off your feed before switching to Builder mode. In Builder mode, you will need to populate your catalog with the products that you want to loaded to your store. By default there will not be any products in your catalog. Any products previously loaded to your store that are no longer in your catalog will be deactivated on the next sync.
Why does IS recommend the Catalog Builder mode?
Catalog Builder mode allows you to...
- Easily select only the products you want to sell and quickly move them to your queue/catalog with the advanced search and bulk selection capabilities.
- Use the "queue" to move products in batches that you would like to eventually add to your catalog (and upload to your store) but would like to review and or customize the products prior to doing so.
- Customize product data before uploading to your store. It is a best practice as a retailer to modify and upgrade the supplier provided product data. Our Catalog Builder mode allows you to do this with each product individually or in bulk using our Bulk Product Customization File, found in the "Bulk" section of your Catalog Rules.
I am used to the old system that has inclusion lists and exclusion rules, is this different?
Well it has much more powerful tools and a better interface, but no not really.
- If you are familiar to using an "inclusion list" this is "Catalog Builder mode"
- If you are familiar to using "exclusion rules" this is "Catalog Filter mode"